Saturday, November 8, 2008

Michael W Smith & Steven Curtis Chapman

Last night I took 2 of my daughters to their first concert. I certainly never thought that when I was in HIGH SCHOOL enjoying every song by MWS, that shortly after my 40th bday, I would accompany MY CHILDREN to see him in concert. But, there you go. And when SCC launched his career when I was in college at Liberty, I didn't think that, either. Still these two gentlemen, whose music has had a profound impact on my life, are truly dear friends to me.

I don't think there could have ever been a better time to see SCC in concert. Following the tragedy of the death of his daughter in May, which followed the release of an album all about living in the moment. He had no way of knowing when he wrote the precious songs of "This Moment" that the words of faith would be truly tested. And yet, last night, we saw the heart of a broken man, still singing glorious praises to the God who is in control even of this. I had to think that God must've shed tears as Steven wrote the songs for this album, knowing how much he would be tested. Truly a story of triumph.

Smitty was as amazing as ever. I marvel at this man and his incredible God given talent. So many songs of his that have touched my heart; and I am thankful for his sharing of his gift with us.

The girls had a good time. I hope that their experience was more "hip" and enjoyable than my first concert...THE BILL GAITHER TRIO. (And I saw them more than once...go figure.) I also got to see Kenny Rogers and the Righteous Brothers. When my concert choices became my own, my mom took me to see Amy Grant (thanks MOM!) and my sister also took me to see Amy. I've also seen Rick Springfield, Chicago, SCC in the early days, Carman (a couple of times), Phil Driscoll, The Imperials (in their cooler days), and Michael W Smith's Freedom tour. Now I need to find a good concert to take Mary to see...ZoeGirl or Rebecca St James perhaps.

All in all, a truly great experience, albeit sobering of my age to see so many "old" people in the crowd. I cannot possibly be in these people's generation?!!! SCC & MWS finished Steven's set with Live Out Loud and Dive, and they were plenty loud and rock n roll. Ben would've been under the seat with his ears plugged...the girls and I? We were dancing in the aisle :) Maybe I'm not so old after all!

2 comments:

  1. Awww so happy for you all. I can only imagine what will be the 1st concert I take Thais too, lol!
    -h

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you all had great time!! You are such a fun mom!

    ReplyDelete